Monday 29 June 2009

"Brainy" people

YB Tan Sri,
Reading your comment to the question, extracted for ease of reference below, Service with an attitude I must say that you certainly know how to 'skew' some facts to justify the government's failings. While I do not dispute the fact that the 'smarter' non Malays have always opted for the private sector, I think it's a grave fallacy to think that the Malays in the civil service got promoted because they are 'brainier'!! How do you explain those non Malays, in spite of better performance and better confidential reports, STILL get overlooked for promotions, ALL the time in the Civil Service. Ask me, I can provide Tan Sri with some 'live' examples. And I leave it to my friends to comment on your statement that the Malays got promoted in the Civil Service because they are brainier.



Extract..(underline, mine) "Why do you think people are not applying? Is it because the non-Malays believe their prospects will not be so good?

If you are talking about perception, please help me address that with the public. When I joined the civil service in 1974, I had 10 Malay housemates. Some of us had received degrees with honours, but none of us had first-class or second-class upper honours. I got second-class lower.

Some of my housemates got general degrees and couldn’t join the government. So, the best Malay brains joined the government. Those who got general degrees joined the banks and the MNCs (multinational corporations). My Chinese friends who had done well (in university), joined their fathers’ companies or the MNCs, or started their own businesses.

The not-so-clever ones joined the government. So when there are so many Malays in civil service – and the best ones at that – who joined the government, who gets promoted? The brainy Malays, of course.



2 comments:

TYS said...

comment from TYY, my brother
"...At least I know this for a fact...I speak and write better English (and that's an understatement) than some of those Malay teachers who have a degree in TESL!!! Maybe I should say I tower over them in the mastery of the English language!!! Maybe I should put it in a different way: I could teach them a thing or two where English is concerned, and this too is understating it!...."

TYS said...

letter in The Star Bizweek July 4 2009

I’m writing in response to comments by Tan Sri Mohd Sidek Hassan, Chief Secretary to the Government.

The question: Why do you think people are not applying? Is it because the non-Malays believe their prospects will not be so good?

Your answer: When I joined the civil service in 1974, I had 10 Malay housemates. Some of us had received degrees with honours, but none of us had first-class or second-class upper honours. I got second-class lower.

Some of my housemates got general degrees and couldn’t joined the government. So, the best Malay brains joined the government. Those who got general degrees joined the banks and the MNCs (multinational corporations). My Chinese friends who had done well (in university), joined their fathers’ companies or the MNCs, or started their own businesses. The not-so-clever ones joined the government. So when there are so many Malays in the civil service – and the best ones at that – who joined the government, who gets promoted? The brainy Malays, of course.

I’d like to respond that you have insulted many non-Malays who have retired or are still working with the civil service.

Now you see how an answer to a simple question can be exploited to a full blown sensitive issue. I’m truly saddened by your insensitivity.

In addressing the issue of few non-Malays joining the civil service nowadays, you must admit that the lack of career advancement is a major problem or misperception that has to be tackled.

I appreciate your continuous efforts to improve the civil service but always remember misconstrued statements can at times prove fatal to the Government’s ongoing efforts to strengthen the public service delivery.

Gan P.Y, Kajang