Sunday 13 June 2010

Does anyone in TNB do any work?

Reading the news headlines in TheSunday Star Zapped by Charges [tenants give landlords "electric shock"], I must admit I am surprised at the level of inefficiency that the TNB has fallen to now. Let me explain why I say that. During my secondary school days in Muar (1960's), I was tasked by my father to cycle and pay the TNB (then called the NEB) bill every month, as the Station was situated out of town. My father being quite poor, and who had to support a large family, always waited for the RED reminder to arrive from the TNB, which gave him 7 days to pay failing which the electricity supply would be cut off. That was a most effective measure, and it made my father beg or borrow (but not steal) enough cash to settle the bills. This drama was always played out, until I finished schooling got a job, and helped him pay his bills on a regular basis.

Which makes me wonder now, why am I reading this headlines in the papers today. That TNB, being a blue chip corporation, practicing good governance in its affairs should be able to allow such debts to accumulate, and which is clearly not the fault of the landlords, is a very shameful disclosure by the media. In my opinion, if anyone in the operations and management control function has been doing his job, it would be a cinch to ensure such chronic debts do not accrue and are collected in a timely manner, and not endure the landlords to so much unnecessary trouble and unwarranted liability. The management would very easily be able to:
  1. determine those households who habitually fail to pay their bills, say for more than 3 months, or whose debts have risen to more than 3 times the amount of deposit received for the household or business premises
  2. issue a 'RED' reminder with a deadline to cut off supply in 14 days, if bills remain unpaid
  3. Action to cut off electricity supply to the respective households, and even business premises.
Pray tell the long suffering public and taxpayers, with computerization and online billing, etc., how difficult will it be for TNB to enforce discipline among the users of electricity? In particular, I feel the Internal Audit and the Statutory Auditors must be asked to clarify this mess..

It is inefficiency in the operations to raise and collect debt, along with cost of fuel that give rise to higher costs, and TNB must do better than just to take such a 'tidak apa' attitude towards debt collection.

TNB has the power,--- so do it!

No comments: