Thursday 8 October 2009

What's there to hide, if Cybercafes are legal?

I am relieved to read that regular checks are made on illegal Internet Cafes,Raid on Illegal Cybercafes! but I have one comment to make. I am sure the local authorities have guidelines on how an Internet Cafe should be set up, but I am wondering, if the Cybercafes are legal, why do they ALL have dark tinted glass on their doors and windows? I have just noticed a new Internet Cafe being opened in my Section in PJ , and I noticed the glass door is dark and the activities cannot be viewed from outside. Is the dark glass a REQUIREMENT, for Internet Cafes? I would like to presume that since licenses have been issued to these cafes, it would be easier to monitor and enforce the rules, if the premise can be easily viewed by the public from the outside. We then can see if, for example, there are kids playing in the cafe, when they should be in school (by the way, a primary school is less than 50 metres from the shop), or if the cafe is engaged in Gambling or other undesirable activities. If the dark glass is a requirement for the licence, so as not to unnecessarily "attract" patrons to the cafe, then based on the same principle, it would be consistent to require all Gaming outlets** to have dark glass doors to cover up their gaming activities...

Bar Tinted Glasses

No comments: