Sunday 24 April 2011

Water problems in Selangor

I refer to the very informative report on the quality of our water, Do not filter water from Syabas and am very happy to know that Syabas is in firm control of the situation of providing safe and potable water for the residents of Selangor and elsewhere. But I am somewhat confused by the statements made by the officials in the user awareness program in Putrajaya today. Let me quote them for clarity.
  • A..For instance, fluoride is needed by babies for their teeth. But all of them {including chlorine and other minerals}are trapped by the filters and form a layer of yellowish or brownish residue on the filter.
  • B..She said the water-treating process got rid of mud particles and hence, it was impossible for the treated water to contain mud {thus brown in colour}.
I have lived in Petaling Jaya (Section 11) for more than 40 years, and I have also installed a exterior type of filter for my water supply in the garden, and has been using the system for more than 15 years. In addition to the exterior system, I have also installed a small kitchen filter for drinking water purposes. For the maintenance of the exterior system, I backwash the system once a month, and without fail, the first 4 buckets of water collected from the cleaning process will be brown. Likewise I have to clean my kitchen filter once in 3 months, or it will be blocked by a brown sludge. My questions to the officials are:
  1. Re the statement A above, Do you mean to say that the dirty brown water that I collect and then use for watering my plants, actually comprise of chlorine, fluoride and other valuable minerals? Do you mean to say that it is safe to drink the brown water?
  2. Re the statement B above, I would love to welcome the Syabas officials to visit my home anytime, and I will do the backwash filter cleaning process for them to look at the brown water. I think the statement that "it was impossible for the treated water to contain mud" is a little inaccurate, to put it mildly.
I appreciate the efforts made by Syabas and other officials to enlighten and reassure the public of the safety of our water, but I stand to be corrected when I say that there is no way that I will drink that brown water, even after boiling.

I also know for a fact that the water we get in some quality condominiums in TTDI are brown too, the brown sludge on the kitchen filters have to be seen to be believed.

Water problems in Selangor

No comments: